Following the decree of Truce between the Humans and the Morhkin, a neutral town called Cormere has been established to foster the ongoing peace. It was decided that the only truly neutral race, the Elementals, will be given the authority over Cormere.
The power structure is as follows:
The Magistrate: The head judge and leader of Cormere, an Elemental.
The Elemental Guard Captain: The leader of the Elemental Guard follows the orders of the Magistrate and upholds the laws of Cormere and carries out the judgements of the Magistrate.
The Elemental Guard: The Elemental Guard protect the lawful residents of Cormere, acting under the Captain.
Nobles can be from any race but each race has its own view on who can be called a Noble.
- Elven nobles are those Elves who are above a certain wealth.
- Human nobles are born into their position.
- Morhkin nobles are those who are the eldest in their community.
- Orc nobles are tribe leaders.
- No Elementals have yet been able to claim to be a noble except the Magistrate of Cormere.
- There are currently no Ovidian nobles known
If you are a noble it means that you are responsible and accountable for your retainers and their actions. If your retainers break the laws of Cormere, then it is your responsibility to bring them forth for judgement from the Magistrate and you have the right to ask for clemency and have the punishment fall on you instead. This is at the discretion of the magistrate.
The Laws of Cormere
- Killing another person is strictly forbidden unless they have had a death sentence decreed by the Magistrate of Cormere.
- Theft of the property of another person in Cormere is prohibited.
New laws can be created and existing laws changed by a meeting between the Magistrate and at least three other nobles. Only one noble from each race may be at the meeting. A majority vote is required.